Toulouse Summer School in Quantitative Social Sciences
Given uncertainties regarding travelling due to the COVID-19 crisis, the summer school will be entirely online through Zoom. All classes will be recorded and accessible to students who cannot attend morning or evening classes live due to time difference.
Toulouse School of Economics (TSE) and the Institute for Advanced Study in Toulouse (IAST) are offering an interdisciplinary summer school program aimed at PhD students in economics and other disciplines across the social sciences.
Scholars from TSE and IAST will lead a program offering a variety courses, lectures, and interactive sessions in the following topics:
Part 1: Economic and political institutions
Part 2: The evolution of human sociality
Students will also benefit from the opportunity to attend the following two conferences, with leading scholars in the field:
- Big Data in Economic History on May 27–28
- Toulouse Economics and Biology Workshop on “Fertility: causes and consequences” - Dates to be confirmed (the event will be fully on line)
As part of the summer school, registration fees for these conferences will be covered by TSE and IAST.
Toulouse Summer School in Quantitative Social Sciences offers a variety of courses taught by recognized experts in their fields. Further details can be found in the summer school brochure.
Part 1 (May 24 – May 28, 2021)
Economic and political institutions
Horacio Larreguy, Mohamed Saleh, and Paul Seabright
- Day 1: Institutions and economic development (M. Saleh).
- Day 2: Democracy, redistribution, and inequality (H. Larreguy).
- Day 3: Migration (M. Saleh). Political selection (H. Larreguy). Special lecture: "Economics and the Social Sciences A Long History Together” (P. Seabright).
- Days 4: Intergenerational mobility (M. Saleh). History Workshop: Big Data in Economic History.
- Day 6: Social media and politics (H. Larreguy). History Workshop: Big Data in Economic History.
Part 2 (May 31-June 10, 2021)
The evolution of human sociality
- Day 1: Intrafamily resource sharing; marriage patterns (I. Alger). Subsistence, inequality and social organization in cross-cultural perspective; Evolution of Human Life Histories (J. Stieglitz).
- Day 2: Evolution of Human Life Histories; Evolution of sharing (J. Stieglitz).
- Day 3: Divisions of labor and complementarity in human families; Sexual conflict; Life history theory (J. Stieglitz).
- Day 4: Economics and Human Biology Conference (Theme: Fertility).
- Day 5: Economics and Human Biology Conference (Theme: Fertility). Demographic transition (J. Stieglitz).
- Day 6: Methods (J. Peña).
- Day 7: Indirect reciprocity (J. Peña).
- Day 8: Cultural group selection (J. Peña).
275 euros for the whole program.
Waiver: We encourage PhD students in other disciplines than economics to apply. These students will have their fees waived.
- March 31, 2021
The following documents are required to apply:
- Copy of most advanced degree
- Proof of of student status
- Short cover letter
- Recommendation letter (optional), to be sent to summerschool.application[a]tse-fr.eu
Applications are to be made on the TSE platform : click here to apply